Thursday, November 12, 2020

outline example

Quote, context, explanation from one of the standpoints


"I would rather not have upset him, but I couldn't see any reason to change my life. Looking back on it, I wasn't unhappy. When I was a student, I had lots of ambitions like that. But when I had to give up my studies I learned very quickly that none of it really mattered."

The Stranger
Part 1, Chapter 5

context: Meursault's boss has offered him the position in Paris but he has turned down the transfer because of the cold, grey weather there.

It could be argued that this is a nihilist quote and proof of the degree to which Meursault has already established that life is without meaning, so one may do as one pleases. Meursault sees no "reason to change his life," as he is satisfied with his situation in Algiers. In addition, Meursault states once again how things don't matter which is very much a tenet of Nihilistic philosophical reasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment